Last Minute Leisel

Just on time or a few min late. "I'm Late, I'm late, I'm Late. - White Rabbit Alice in Wonderland

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Fishing

Is there any one out there who can give me some fishing tips? I went fishing Charleston SC and could not catch a thing. We tried cat fish bait from walmart, and hot dogs, and Crickets, and Worms, and minows, without so much as a nibble. Two days of fun in the sun, but no fish to show for it. They say that there are all kinds of fish here, salt water, and fresh water. So i thought we were bound to catch somthing. any who If you now a secret fish call, or have a bait that works I would be greatful for the advice. I can fish for 12 more days.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:02 PM , Blogger GUYK said...

    Hi Liesel, you didn't say if you were fishing from a boat or off a pier or in the surf. There are a lot of varables in salt water fishing--a lot more so than in fresh water. I have never fished that area but there should be a lot of Red Drum, Sea trout ( or weakfish I think they call them there ) as well as Blue fish in the surf.

    I would suggest using live bait such as small 'bait fish' or live shrimp. The best time to fish is when the tide is moving-I prefer a strong incoming tide. Use a weighted opping float so you can get some casting distance and put you bait on a leader at least two feet below the weight. Cast as far as you can into the tide and let the tide work it back into you and then cast again.

    At low tide off a pier you can usually catch the salt water cat fish. I use cut ( pieces) of squid for this or buy frozen shrimp. The squid is kinda nasty but it is good bait.

    Fishing in the surf is another story all together. Blue fish will hit just about any thing alive and they will hit anything shiny such as artificial lures. If you use artificials I would suggest a heavy enough silver or gold "spoon" type lure that you can cast a long distance. Most people fishing the surf use at least 12' rods in order to get the cast a way out.

    Probably the most important thing though is that you are getting to go fishing. A bad day on the water beats a good day at work. Most fishing people are pretty nice people and will answer your questions about local conditions. Watch what they are doing...especially the ones catching fish and maybe approach them with how they are doing it.

    But remember, there are going to be times that even us pros don't catch fish. If the fish are not there or if they have lock jaw the only way you are gonna get them up is with dynamite. So go fishing and enjoy the time on the water. I envy you..hope this helps you catch at least one!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home